Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Trattoria Contadina, San Francisco
















This was the hightlight of my dining experience in San Francisco. Trattoria Contadina has some of the most personable staff, Alicia, and delicious food in the city. A small, cozy and romantic place. Settling in, I had a delicious MANA'S MOJITO,Cruzan Light Rum, Veeve Acai Liqueur, fresh muddled mint leaves, sugar & fresh lime juice. that was made perfectly. After discussing the menu with Alicia, we decided that a wonderful Grigich Hills Merlot would fit the meal. I started with a Carpaccio di Manzo, thinly sliced raw Filet Mignon with fresh arugula, parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, capers and lemon accompanied with perfect Italian bread. I was told that being only served a few times a year, I would be in for a treat having their version of cioppino. It was generously filled with mussels, clams, shrimp, squid, salmon and clams. The broth was a delightful blend of tomato, saffron, basil... truely heaven. An etherial experience such as this had to be completed with a perfect dessert to help me finish my delicious wine. I chose the Chocolate Covered Gelato Truffle Dark Chocolate Ice Cream Heart with a raspberry sorbet center and much to my delight the staff offered a delicious after dinner drink of Kalana with steamed milk dusted with cocoa on the house.

As I said, this was the perfect meal with a perfect waitress with perfect weather on a perfect vacation. Alicia usually works on Wednesdays, but with luck you may find her on the weekend.

Trattoria Contadina Italian Restaurant
1800 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
Telephone Number: (415)982-5728

No comments: